The Hawaii Federation of Buddhist Women’s Associations (HFBWA) is an affiliate organization of the Honpa Hongwanji Mission of Hawaii, headquartered in Honolulu. The women and friends of Hawaii’s BWA groups play an important role in propagating and sustaining our Jodo Shinshu teachings.
HFBWA is composed of 29 temple units organized into 5 districts: Honolulu (4 units), Oahu (6 units), Kauai (3 units), Maui (5 units), and Hawaii Island (11 units). Representatives from these 5 Districts attend the HFBWA meetings which are held in March and October.
Our organization offers programs such as Buddhist education, student exchange with Japan BWA, Dana Day (selfless giving), sister districts, and special services.
Buddhist Women’s Pledge
As a person of Buddhist faith, I will follow Shinran Shonin who sought to live the life of truth; appreciate fully the blessing of human existence; thoroughly hear the Primal Vow of the Buddha; and diligently strive to live the life of Nembutsu as a Buddhist woman.
- Earnestly listening to the teaching, I will live my daily life embraced in Amida’s Light.
- Building a home fragrant with the Nembutsu, I will nurture a child of the Buddha.
- Following the teaching of “One World”, I will spread the circle of Dharma friends.
- to unify and cooperate with all United Honpa Hongwanji Buddhist Women’s Associations in the State of Hawaii;
- to perpetuate and expand Jodo Shinshu (Pure Land Sect) in the State of Hawaii;
- to promote the development of Buddhist women’s organizations ; and
- to participate in the promotion of Buddhism throughout the world and to work for world peace.