ARTICLE I – NAME
The name of this Association shall be the Oahu United Honpa Hongwanji Buddhist Women’s Association (OUHHBWA).
ARTICLE II – HEADQUARTERS
The headquarters of this Association shall be located at the Temple where the president of the Association is affiliated.
ARTICLE III – PURPOSE
The purpose of this Association shall be to foster fellowship among Buddhist Women’s Association (BWA) members and nonmembers through activities that promote Jodo Shinshu religious practices and education, and to promote the general welfare of the community.
ARTICLE IV – MEMBERSHIP
The membership shall consist of Oahu District BWA units and an At-Large unit of nonmembers. A count of Active and Associate members by units shall be reported to the Federation Membership Chair by January 31.
Section 1. Classification
- Active members
1. Shall pay annual dues.
2. Shall be members of the Honpa Hongwanji Mission Hawaii Federation of Buddhist Women’s Associations (HHMHFBWA).
- Associate members
1. Were previously active but now are unable to regularly participate at Unit/United/Federation level activities, primarily due to being homebound, in a care, retirement or nursing home.
2. Shall not pay annual dues. Units shall make a $1.00 donation to the Ministerial Training fund.
3. Shall not be eligible to serve as officers or directors of this organization.
4. Shall not be counted in determining representation to OUHHBWA and HHMHFBWA.
Section 2. Dues
- Annual dues to OUHHBWA shall be determined by the OUHHBWA Board of Directors by the 3rd quarterly meeting, and be payable by the 1st quarterly meeting of the following year.
ARTICLE V – Board of Directors
The officers, directors, and Minister Advisor of this Association shall serve as the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors shall direct the affairs of the OUHHBWA.
Section 1. The Officers of this Association shall be as follows:
- Immediate Past President –one (1)
President — one (1)
Vice-President — one (1)
Recording Secretary — one (1)
Corresponding Secretary — one (1)
Treasurer — one (1)
Assistant Treasurer — one (1)
Auditors — two (2)
Section 2. Each Unit may have two (2) directors. Officers cannot serve as directors.
Section 3. The Minister Advisor shall be designated by the Oahu District Ministers’ Association and serve as an ex-officio member of the board without vote.
Section 4. The officers of this Association shall serve as the Executive Board.
Section 5. Nominations and Elections. A nomination committee will consist of one member from each unit with active members and shall prepare a slate of officers prior to the annual meeting. The officers of this Association shall be elected at the annual convention of the Association.
Section 6. The officers of this Association shall be active members and hold office for a term of one year commencing on January 1 following their election.
Section 7. Except for the President, the Board of Directors shall fill any vacancy in the Executive Board. The term of office shall be the unexpired term of the former officer.
ARTICLE VI – DUTIES OF OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
The duties of the officers and directors shall be as follows:
- The Immediate Past President shall serve in an advisory capacity.
- The President shall preside at all meetings and direct the affairs of the Association.
- The Vice-President shall perform the duties of the President in the event the President is unable to perform such duties, shall submit the OUHHBWA article to the HHMHFBWA newsletters, and is chair of the Bylaws Committee.
- The Recording Secretary shall keep the minutes of all meetings and distribute them to the Board within 30 days after each meeting.
- The Corresponding Secretary shall be responsible for correspondence, shall prepare a directory of officers and directors, shall maintain the official amendments to the bylaws and rules and regulations of this Association and shall make them available upon reasonable request by members.
- The Treasurer shall be responsible for monetary affairs of the Association, and shall submit to the Auditors a written annual report within 30 days of the close of the fiscal year.
- The Assistant Treasurer shall assist the Treasurer in monetary matters.
- The Auditors shall examine the accounts of the Treasurer, and shall attest to the accuracy and correctness of the annual financial report by appending their signatures to the report by the end of February.
- Directors shall assist the officers and serve as liaison officers between the Oahu United Honpa Hongwanji Buddhist Women’s Association and the respective BWA Units.
- The Minister Advisor shall serve in an advisory capacity.
ARTICLE VII – MEETINGS
This Association shall have an annual membership meeting, board of directors’ meetings, special meetings, and executive board meetings as described below.
Section 1. The annual membership meeting shall be held at the convention in the last quarter of the year to elect officers and such other business required.
Section 2. The Board of Directors shall meet quarterly. The time and place shall be set by standing rules.
Section 3. Special meetings may be called by the President or at the request of four members of the board from at least two different units, provided that the purpose is included in the call of the meeting at least three (3) days before the date of the meeting.
Section 4. The President may call meetings of the Executive Board as needed, but this board may not rescind or reconsider any action of the Board of Directors.
Section 5. Quorum
- Annual meeting. Quorum shall be active members present. Each active member may attend as a delegate to the convention.
- Board of Directors Meeting. Quorum shall be the attendance of seven members of the Board of Directors, with representation from at least two units.
- Executive Board Meeting. Quorum shall be the majority of the members of the Executive Board.
Section 6. Electronic Meetings. Any properly called meeting of the OUHHBWA may be conducted as an electronic meeting provided that this option is included in the call. These meetings, including but not limited to the Board of Directors, the Executive Board, all standing and special committees and any special meetings of these assemblies, may be conducted by means of teleconference, videoconference, or any means of a communication technology by which all persons participating in the meeting can speak to and hear each other at the same time. Participation by such means shall constitute attendance at the meeting as long as such simultaneous communication is active and enabled.
ARTICLE VIII – FINANCES
Section 1. All expenditures must be authorized by the Board of Directors, or the Executive Board.
Section 2. A budget shall be prepared by the first quarterly meeting.
ARTICLE IX – PARLIAMENTARY AUTHORITY
The rules contained in the current edition of Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised shall govern the Association in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with these bylaws or any special rules of order the Association may adopt.
ARTICLE X – AMENDMENTS
Section 1. These bylaws may be amended at a Board of Directors meeting, provided the amendment is submitted in writing to all active members at least one month prior to the scheduled meeting.
Section 2. Two-thirds of the members present and voting shall be required to approve the amendment.
OUHHBWA Bylaws Revised on August 27, 2023.